Do you have a quick question?  Need a fast answer?  Check out our Vendor FAQ below for some frequently asked questions and answers.

Vendor FAQ

  • Who is eligible to participate as a vendor with Lemhi County Farmers’ Market?

1.) Producers/growers: those who cultivate and or raise their own vegetables, flowers, fruits, herbs, plants, small animals, and animal products for public sale within Lemhi county and surrounding areas upon approval of the market manager.

2.) Harvesters/gatherers: those who gather/pick wild growing fruits, plants, or other material for public sale.

3.) Crafters/artisans: those who create hand crafted products primarily from raw materials. The Market Manager reserves the right to refuse any craft item that is deemed inappropriate.

4.) Food producers (processor): those who make value-added products from agricultural or wild crafted material in accordance with all ID District 7 Health Regulations. 

5.) Ready-to-Eat food vendors: These vendors sell prepared foods to be eaten on-site, such as, burritos, sandwiches, soups, salads and other “lunch” items. These vendors will be required to use an approved commercial kitchen for food preparation, and will be required to obtain a temporary food license through Public Health District 7, (208) 756-2122, prior to setting up at the farmers’ market.

6.) Reselling/Brokering/Consignment: Vendors are allowed to support each other through the selling and consignment of local, handmade/homegrown products and may working cooperatively to share booth space at the Lemhi County Farmers Market.  If more than 2 vendors are represented within a single booth space, a multi-vendor booth fee will be required.

However, the reselling of any non-homemade/homegrown product (i.e; products that are NOT made or grown by the vendors themselves and are products that are mass produced by an individual, company or corporation operating beyond the scope of the Lemhi County Farmers’ Market) is highly discouraged and is limited to 5% of the booth space (typically just one or two items per booth). Example of such items may include natural sodas or fruit drinks, spice mixes, or other products.  These items must be complementary to the handmade or homegrown products that the vendor sells and are discouraged when similar locally handmade/homegrown products are made available by other vendors.  Each brokered/re-sold item must be pre-approved by the market manager in advance.  

7.) Nonprofit Groups: Representatives of nonprofit groups are also permitted to set up booths if they are interested in selling event tickets, raffle tickets, or providing services for fundraising. However, no politically themed booths are permitted at the farmers’ market, whatsoever.

  • How much does it cost to join the market as a vendor?

The current membership fees  include the following:

  • Full time vendor fee (no more than 2 vendors): $100/booth
  • Part time vendor (not to exceed 9 days): $50/booth
  • Multi-vendor fee (more than 2 vendors): $150/booth (or $300 for 3 booth spaces).
  • Daily vendor fee: $15 per day
  • Non-profit/education only booth fee: $5 per day

Checks should be made out to: LCEDA/Lemhi County Farmers’ Market

  • Do market vendors have to obtain their own tax id number?

No. The only requirement is that all vendors fill out a free ST-124 tax form prior to setting up at the market. The market manager will have these forms available. This form acts as a temporary tax id throughout the market season. Then, simply keep track of all of your sales so that you can send in your total sales tax owed to the Idaho State Tax Commission when you finish you time as a market vendor.

  • Does the farmers’ market provided tables, chairs or canopies to vendors?

Unfortunately, no, we do not have those resources. All vendors will be responsible for providing all shade devices, tables, chairs, and other necessary supplies for making sales at the market.

  • What size are market booth spaces?

A single space is 12’ x 12.’ You may reserve two spaces side-by-side if you need more room than that, depending upon the availability at the time you make your reservation. Aside from double spaces, we work to allow a 2’ space in between booths.

  • Do vendors need a special license to sell at farmers’ markets?

In general, vendors do not need a special license if they are selling raw and unprocessed farm products such as fruits and vegetables, baked goods, or fruit preserves, jellies, or syrups.

  • Which foods sold at the market require Health Department licensing?

Potentially hazardous foods require licensing before selling at farmers’ markets. These foods include cut melon, raw seed sprouts, garlic in oil preserves, a food of animal origin that is raw or heated, and a food of plant origin that is heat-treated (such as, prepared foods, salsas, pickled foods, canned foods other than fruit preserves, and any dairy or cheese products.) Contact Public Health Dist. 7, (208) 756-2123 for more information on licensing requirements.

For more information about these regulations, please visit the IDHW Cottage Food Rules webpage.

For temporary food establishment licenses, please visit the Food Program Resources page (Eastern Idaho Public Health).

  • Can vendors with processed vegetables sell at farmers’ markets?

Any products that include processing of the vegetables (canning, cooking, preserving, peeling, dicing, cutting, etc.) must be approved through the Public Health dept. before being sold to the public.

  • Can vendors sell baked goods at farmers’ markets? 

Baked goods that are NOT potentially hazardous foods subject to spoilage (breads, pastries, cookies, etc.) may be sold at farmers’ markets without a license. Baked goods that require refrigeration (cream pies, cream-filled pastries, cheesecakes, custard pies, etc.) are considered potentially hazardous and may NOT be sold at farmers’ markets without first consulting Public Health.

  • Can I sell farm eggs at the farmers’ market? 

The short answer is YES as long as you meet all packaging guidelines! Please read details below…

Vendors who have fewer than 300 hens and sell directly to the customer, do not need a Department of Agriculture license, or an inspection, and do not have to grade their eggs. Vendors of ungraded eggs do not need a special license from the Health Dept. Cartons of ungraded eggs sold at markets must include a name, address, and “ungraded eggs” clearly on each carton. You may print this information on address labels and attach them to the cartons. Previously-used egg cartons may be reused. Eggs must be stored at 45 degrees or lower. An ice chest may be used at events under four hours in duration. You must have a thermometer in the ice chest to track the temperature, and using a thermometer purchased from the kitchen section of the supermarket is fine.

  • Can vendors sell jelly at farmers’ markets?

A license is not required to sell fruit or berry jams, jellies, compotes, fruit butters, fruit syrups, marmalades, or similar products at farmers’ markets.

  • Can vendors sell nursery items at farmers’ markets?

Any vendor who makes under $500 annually for sales of nursery or florist stock may do so at the farmers’ market without any special licensing. For sales over $500 annually, a nursery license may be obtained by the Idaho State Dept. of Agriculture. Bureau of Feeds and Plant Services Division of Plant Industries, Idaho State Department of Agriculture, P.O. Box 790 Boise, ID 83701. Phone (208) 332-8620 Fax: (208) 334-2283.

  • Can vendors sell honey at farmers’ markets?

All beekeepers are required to register their bees with the Idaho State Department of Agriculture and pay a registration fee as well as a honey advertising tax on each colony of bees. Permits are required to bring bees into Idaho from other states. You may contact market manager for more information on this topic.

  • What vendors can claim that their products are organic at farmers’ markets? 

Businesses selling less than $5,000 of organic products annually do not need to be certified, but must follow USDA National Organic Program standards. In the State of Idaho, if gross sales of organic products are $5,000 or less, you must register with the ISDA Organic Program (NOP) in order to use the term “organic.” Annual registration fee is $50.00. Please contact the market manager for NOP standards and contact information.

  • Are there any special requirements for vendors selling products by weight at farmers’ markets?

Any scales used for weighing produce for sale by weight must be certified by the Idaho State Department of Agriculture’s Division of Weights and Measures. Otherwise, you may simply sell produce by the bag, bunch, or piece instead of by weight.  Contact the nearest field office for more information. You can find this information at or by calling (208)332-8690.

  • If you have any questions, please contact us!

Email the Farmer’s Market at:  Or call 208-221-8390